The Pensacola Yacht and Motor Boat Club was originally organized by several motor boat owners and enthusiasts in 1908. It was officially chartered as the Pensacola Yacht Club by the State of Florida in 1910. The first clubroom was on the second floor of the Fisher Building. It then moved to the wharf on the Baylen Street Yacht Basin

Later, the quarters were located in the Bar Pilots Building on South Palafox Street, and then on the municipal dock in the Aiken Towing Company Building until 1922. The US Army transport, "General Wilson" was purchased in 1922 and used as the clubhouse until 1925 when it was destroyed by fire. The Club then returned to the Palafox Wharf until the present property at the mouth of Bayou Chico was purchased from the estate of J. M. Muldon in 1948. The location at the mouth of Bayou Chico is one of the most beautiful sites on the Gulf Coast. Since 1920, the two principal activities of PYC have been sailing and motorboating.

The sailors of PYC have distinguished themselves in local and coastal events as well as in offshore races and national one design events. Motorboating has consisted of predicted log races, cruises, raft-ups, rendezvous, and boat parades. In addition, motorboaters have served as escorts to many sailing events.

Pensacola Yacht Club is a charter member of the Gulf Yachting Association. In addition, it is a member of the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs, and US Sailing. Present membership is just over 600, with an active Junior sailing program including water safety and boating skills. The promotion of navigation, safety, and the use of water are basic tenents of PYC's charter.


Past Commodores List